Wednesday, June 27, 2007

sewing/new wardrobe

Not a whole lot of people know this, but when I was 19-20 or so, I was a fashion design major. I changed majors when I set my goal at age 20. I used to love to sew, but unfortunately, it has been years since I have done so, except for 4 or 5 quilts (That have only been pieced, never quilted... I need to work on that, too). I would like to start up again. I decided that a good place to start would be to make new clothes for myself, from existing patterns, and then try my hand at all the hard stuff again. I decided that some easy patterns for this are Simplicity 8523, 5455, 5957, 5306, and 4366. (only one view from each envelope).

What sucks is that, years ago, Joann's and Hancock's used to have sales where a certain brand of patterns were only 99 cents. Sometimes, they would be on sale for $1.99. That was the time to stock up. Sadly, those days are over from what I understand. I would have to get back on the Joann's mailing list to be sure.

These are mostly easy patterns. I would practice first on Muslin fabric, and then make the actual garment. That's what people do when they make more fancy, couture gowns, but since I haven't done this in years, and I plan on using nice fabrics, it might be a good idea.

Speaking of fabrics- When I took my textiles class, I did my "big paper" on what was then a new fabric called Tencel. It's so hard to find now, but I might be able to order some online. If I can't, there are many other fabrics that are nice that I seem to have forgotten about in the past 10 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment