Thursday, June 21, 2007

Confused about sleep

All the baby advice online says to "sleep when the baby sleeps". They make it out to be an emergency, too, like you BETTER get sleep, because it's YOUR ONLY CHANCE, and so on.

We were warned that babies never sleep, and that we'd be sleep deprived. What ended up happening is that we have to get up 2 or 3 times a night to feed her, but that's it. We all go back to sleep.

I have gotten up in the middle of the night before for other things. Like, I had small bladder problems both in my teen years and in pregnancy. I used to get up at 3 am for work. The only time I truly did not get sleep was when I filled in on the graveyard shift at the child abuse shelter. I hadn't trained myself on that schedule. I didn't work that shift enough to try and train myself, and I worked it often enough for it to be a problem.

Annalise sleeps a lot throughout the day. And I am not saying that's all she does. She doesn't just wake up to be fed, changed and BAM go to sleep- although that's pretty much what she does at night. During the day, she wakes up to be fed, stays awake for a while, I hold her and walk around, she looks around and "Takes in", etc. Then, she falls asleep until she's hungry again.

"Sleep when the baby sleeps" is not going to happen. I can't possibly sleep that much, not even on hydrocodone. Dr. Wei told me that newborns sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day. Holy crap!!! Then... why all the fear mongering during pregnancy about how they never sleep????

No comments:

Post a Comment