Monday, June 25, 2007

Parents

My parents came over again today, and it's quite obvious by this point that they want to retire here.

I am beginning to get a taste of what it's going to be like to have them back around.

It's not like it would have been any kind of shock. Whether they move here or not, I'll always have my in-laws to deal with, so what's adding two more parents to the mix?

You may remember their upheaval about our TV not being satisfactory. They asked me, did I get a new TV yet? I said, no, sorry, I haven't had the chance. Mom replied, "Well. You had a chance to go to half price books to get cookbooks you wanted." She said it in that tone, that how dare you tone.

I thought about it a minute. "Yes", I said. "I did. I am sorry."

That short conversation brought back some memories. Maybe because it's been over 7 years that I have been on my own, 5 of which in a different state- but I had forgotten about *that*. That whole, getting mad at me for prioritizing things I would rather do over things they would rather have me do. It was like a blast from the past from my teen years. "What do you mean you didn't have a chance to clean your room? You were at your friend's house for 6 hours..."

"What do you mean you didn't go buy a new TV? You had a chance to buy cookbooks."

I am almost 29 years old, and.... *that* is back. When did it happen?

But back to the in-laws.
I emailed MIL about getting my dog back sometime today. She replied....

"We discussed it, and we don't think you are ready for the dog yet."

Huh?

I am kind of getting depressed. It feels like I had a few good years of really being on my own and having my own choices in life. For that, I am glad. But the idea that it's going away kind of eats at me. What happened? Was it because I had a baby? I can't tell anyone about being depressed about these things, because they'll just blame the baby. I'll just get, "Yeah, isn't motherhood rough?"

No. Not like pushing 29 and feeling like a high school kid again is.

No comments:

Post a Comment